What is apostasy, and how can I recognise it? Apostasy means defiance of an established system or authority; a rebellion; an abandonment or breach of faith. In the first-century world, apostasy was a technical term for political revolt or defection. And just like in the first century, apostasy threatens the Body of Christ today.
What does apostasy mean in the Bible? In Christianity, apostasy is the rejection of the faith by someone who formerly was a Christian. It is a conscious abandonment of faith in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Three dangers could lead a Christian to commit apostasy: temptations, deceptions, and persecutions.
Apostasy is here, and we are being, warned of falling into that danger.
Therefore, we have many Bible verses that warn us about apostasy and how to recognise it and more importantly deal with it so that we are not lead astray.
1. Jeremiah 2:19 Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the Lord thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord God of hosts.
2. Jeremiah 5:6 Wherefore a lion out of the forest shall slay them, and a wolf of the evenings shall spoil them, a leopard shall watch over their cities: every one that goeth out thence shall be torn in pieces: because their transgressions are many, and their backslidings are, increased.
3. Mark 13:6 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. Luke 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be, not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
4. 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be, revealed, the son of perdition.
5. 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.
In the mighty name of God, let us recognise apostasy and deal with it and do not allow the Devil to fool us into doing His bidding. Trust in God because He is the only way to everlasting life.